The Early Mathematics Computational Cohort (E=MC2) is an integrated set of mathematics courses at BYU in Fall 2019 and Winter 2020 for first or second year undergraduates who are majoring in or are interested in mathematics or related fields. All interested students meeting the prerequisites are invited to participate. Students in the cohort will take eight credits together as a group each semester, including both classroom and computer lab credits, and will become proficient both in proving mathematical results and in writing computer code to apply theory to real-world problems.
- Develop coding, proof, and problem-solving skills
- Learn from award-winning instructors
- Build friendships with a group of fellow students who also enjoy mathematics
- Build interpersonal and communication skills, teamwork, leadership
- Make rapid progress toward graduation
- Do fun mathematics!
Students who complete the E=MC2 program will have completed a mathematics minor by the end of the year and will be well into the mathematics major. Whatever your path—an undergraduate mathematics major, the ACME program in mathematics, undergraduate research, or a double major—you will be well prepared to begin your next mathematical adventure.