Hours & Location
The Math Lab is on the first floor, north wing of the TMCB, room 159. It can be reached from the northernmost doors of the building or by entering the east doors and going down the first hallway on the right. Call (801) 422-4695 for more info.
We are closed on all major holidays, the Saturdays of General Conference, and during the breaks between BYU Semesters.
Hours of Operation
|Monday||9 am – 3:50 pm|
|Tuesday||9 am – 10:45 am DEVO 12 pm – 8 pm|
|Wednesday||9 am – 8 pm|
|Thursday||9 am – 8 pm|
|Friday||9 am – 5 pm|
|Saturday||10 am – 1 pm|
** Math 118 has its own hours due to a shortage of tutors. Their schedule is posted by the 118 computer in the math lab. If you have taken the class and are interested in being a 118 tutor, let us know!
The Math Lab is the perfect place for help on Independent Study courses in Math 97, 110, 112, 113, 119, 313, and 334, as follows:
- By phone to 801-422-4695: A secretary in the Math Lab will quickly get you in contact with a tutor on duty, and the tutor will assist you on the phone and via web cam on the internet, as necessary.
- By email to email@example.com
- Come in person to the north wing of the TMCB, room 159. Feel free to come in whenever you have a question during our open hours. Just talk to one of the secretaries in the northwest corner office.
Still not getting the help you need? We have an excellent group of tutors on our Private Tutoring List. (See below)
Private Tutor List
The Math Lab provides a current list of individuals who are willing to tutor students in math. Rates and availability vary among tutors.
Math 112/113 Sample Exams:
For questions about accuracy of these solutions, please send email to firstname.lastname@example.org
For exam review materials, visit:
The Math Lab provides the following handout for your convenience:
- Trigonometry Review
- Derivatives and Integrals
- Factoring Trinomials
- Fundamental Graphs
- Maple – A quick Reference
- Summary of Convergence Tests for Series
- Crash Course in Proofs
Also, here are some interesting math links if you are interested.
- The Integrator — will integrate almost any ugly integral.
- — has a lot of good information about a lot of different kinds of mathematics.
The Math Lab provides the following material for the Algebra Review Sessions:
- Decimals and Fractions
- Exponents and Logarithms
- Intercepts and Asymptotes
- Summation Symbols and Factoring
- Factoring Trinomials
When we are hiring, we will post our openings on BYU Job Services
Math Lab Tutor
- Lower division tutors: Proficiency in algebra, trigonometry, and differential and integral calculus. This includes course material in Math 110, 111, 112, 113, 116, and 118. Skills are assessed by an exam proctored by the Math Lab secretaries. The test covers Algebra, Trigonometry, Calculus, and Analysis.
- Upper division tutors: Proficiency in basic proofs, multivariate calculus, linear algebra, and ordinary differential equations. This includes material from Math 302, 303, 313 (now 213), 314, or 334. Skills are assessed by both the lower division exam (described above) and an upper division exam proctored by the Math Lab secretaries.
- Ability to thoroughly explain both familiar and new or difficult concepts to students in understandable ways. (No “it is intuitively obvious” or “by inspection”.)
- Flexible schedule.
- Bring a copy of your resume to the Math Lab or email it to email@example.com
Review sheets for the application exams can be found here:
The tests may be taken anytime during normal Math Lab hours. Allow about two hours for each exam.
- Assist students in the Math Lab in understanding mathematics by answering questions and explaining concepts.
- Attend weekly training meetings to maintain teaching and concept-based skills.
- Represent the Math Lab in a manner consistent with the Goals of a BYU Education and the BYU Honor Code.
- Teach Math Lab-hosted review sessions for selected 100- or 300-level classes.
When we are hiring, we will post our openings on BYU Job Services.
For questions regarding employment, please contact:
Math Lab Office